Trinity Historic District
The Trinity Park and Trinity Heights neighborhoods (recorded collectively as the Trinity Historic District) were platted at the turn of the century and experienced rapid growth and expansion in the first three decades of the twentieth century. Unlike other historic neighborhoods in Durham, which were closely tied to the tobacco industry, the Trinity Historic District, adjacent to Trinity College, provided homes for a growing number of middle class residents, many of them professors or staff at the college.
The neighborhood was overwhelmingly residential with only a handful of churches, schools, and three small commercial buildings. While the churches and schools were scattered throughout the neighborhood, commercial buildings tended to be located at the perimeter. The (former) Watts Grocery Store, at 1202 Watts Street, is a small front-gable frame structure. The building appears in the 1920s city directories as a grocery store, but it may have existed even earlier. It is now used as an office space and does not contribute to the historic district because of extensive alterations.
The Graham’s Grocery building, just three blocks away at 505 N. Gregson Street, was also built in the 1920s. It is a brick, four-bay building with large plate-glass windows and glass transoms. The building, now vacant, is similar in style to The Great A & P Tea Company and is listed as a contributing structure in the Trinity Historic District.
Trinity Historic District Links