Our mission is to protect Durham’s historic assets (and stories) through education, advocacy, and action.
Durham is a preservation town. Our favorite places have age, patina, and authenticity. They tell our story – one of scrappy entrepreneurs, creative reinvention, and stubborn optimism.
- Established in 1974
- 600 members and counting – Become one of them!
- 2 staff members
- Annual Budget of $116,000
- More than 50 properties saved
- By Laws
What We Do
Who We Are
Preservation Durham Staff
Dr. Chris Laws, Executive Director – firstname.lastname@example.org
Loni Price, Office Manager – email@example.com
Board of Directors
The group that leads the effort to preserve Durham’s heritage, our Board of Directors, brings a wide range of knowledge and experiences to Preservation Durham! New members are elected at the Annual Meeting each year, with three-year terms beginning in July. If you are interested in learning more about joining our Board, please contact us.
President: Melva Rigel
Vice President: Amy Bastian
Secretary: Tom Miller
Treasurer: Bob Ashley
Members at Large
Beverly Barnes Evans
Debra Taylor Gonzalez Garcia
Patricia E Harris
Our committees do a great deal of the work of the organization – from crafting advocacy statements to planning educational workshops. Committees are composed of Board Members and organizational members at large. If you are interested in joining, please contact the committee chair or our office staff.
Advocates issues of major importance to Durham.
Its goals are to:
- Identify key issues and recommend position statements for board approval
- Educate the public on preservation issues, best practices, and Preservation Durham’s work
- Work with other organizations in supporting or opposing issues of mutual interest
- Represent interests of Preservation Durham
- Review local ordinances concerning historic preservation
Chair: Rob Emerson
Organizes the annual Durham Preservation Tour.
Its work includes:
- Identifying tour sites and working with property owners
- Providing research on the tour theme and locations and educational events
- Recruiting advertisers and sponsors and marketing the tour
- Managing tour volunteers and day-of logistics
Chairs: Tom Miller & Kathy Carter