10 sites in North Carolina, including 2 in Durham (the Whitted School and the Durham Hosiery Mill Dye House) were just added to the National Register. We’re so glad to see these important buildings get recognized- and now they’re eligible for preservation tax credits!
Congratulations to the Carrboro-based Caktus Group for buying and rehabbing 108 Morris St., a great 1910 building right by Five Points.
Check out this article in the Durham News about the historic Fendol Bevers house. We’re working with the developers to help move this amazing structure!
Sadly, after months of exploring alternate possibilities, it was announced this week that Lavender Avenue Park House in Northgate Park will be deconstructed. The structure, which was on our 2012 Places in Peril list, sits in
Historic Gas Stations
Why They’re Important:
Gas stations represent some of Durham’s most endangered but least recognized historic structures. Pre-war gas stations (built prior to 1945) were typically made of brick. Key examples include stations in East Durham on the corner Guthrie and Angier and another further east on 2620 Angier, near Hoover. Both of these stations are owned by M. M. Fowler (who sold the station that was recently remodeled as Geer Street Garden).
Post-war gas stations (built after 1945) were often built of steel and glass, reflecting a style that can best be described as mid-century commercial vernacular. The most distinctive features of these gas stations are their long, metal triangular canopies that evoke the tailfins of space-age automobile
Why It’s Important:
The striking orange building just past the railroad tracks on Trinity Avenue was once a pivotal business for Brodie Duke’s Pearl Mill Village. Built by local entrepreneur Joseph S. Woods and his wife, Lou Ella (Walker) Woods, in 1924, this grocery store with rooms for rent above served the district for decades until its conversion into an apartment house in the early 1960s.
The grocery is the only documented store to have served the district until development of a small commercial corridor accelerated on nearby Foster St. in the 1930s. After the passing of her husband in 1934, Mrs. Woods, who lived around the corner, kept the grocery running until just