[su_spoiler title=”Historic Gas Stations” icon=”plus-circle”]
Why They’re Important:
Gas stations represent some of Durham’s most endangered but least recognized historic structures. Pre-war gas stations (built prior to 1945) were typically made of brick. Key examples include stations in East Durham on the corner Guthrie and Angier and another further east on 2620 Angier, near Hoover. Both of these stations are owned by M. M. Fowler (who sold the station that was recently remodeled as Geer Street Garden).
Post-war gas stations (built after 1945) were often built of steel and glass, reflecting a style that can best be described as mid-century commercial vernacular. The most distinctive features of these gas stations are their long, metal triangular canopies that evoke the tailfins of
Why It’s Important:
The George Wall House tells the story of a remarkable man, his family, and his community. The president of Trinity College hired a teenaged George Wall, born a slave to the grandfather of a Trinity College physics professor, as a farm laborer. Wall moved with Trinity College from Randolph County to Durham County in 1892, serving the college as a porter and custodian. George Wall served Trinity College and later Duke University for sixty years and was heralded for his upstanding character and work ethic.
By 1900, Wall had built a home for himself and his growing family in a new neighborhood just north of Trinity College (now Duke’s East Campus). Wall situated his home on 3rd Street