Places in Peril 2013

[su_accordion]
[su_spoiler title=”Historic Gas Stations” icon=”plus-circle”]

Why They’re  Important:

Gas stations represent some of Durham’s most endangered but least recognized historic structures.  Pre-war gas stations (built prior to 1945) were typically made of brick.  Key examples include stations in East Durham on the corner Guthrie and Angier and another further east on 2620 Angier, near Hoover.  Both of these stations are owned by M. M. Fowler (who sold the station that was recently remodeled as Geer Street Garden).

Post-war gas stations (built after 1945) were often built of steel and glass, reflecting a style that can best be described as mid-century commercial vernacular.  The most distinctive features of these gas stations are their long, metal triangular canopies that evoke the tailfins of