Saturday and Sunday
April 26 – 27, 2014
12:00 – 4:00 pm
Durham’s history is closely lined to the rise and fall of the NC tobacco industry, and the massive buildings that housed this manufacture are a huge part of Durham’s unique character.
Fendol Bevers Farmstead
5713 Leesville Road
Why it’s important:
The Fendol Bevers Farm, straddling Leesville Road near Briar Creek, is a remarkable early farmstead that dates to about 1850. This early I-House has Greek Revival details, a stone foundation and chimneys, original windows with ornamented surrounds, and an intact interior. Early farm buildings surrounding it include a kitchen house, smoke house, and several tobacco barns and storage sheds. Fendol Bevers was Raleigh’s City Engineer and surveyed Wake County. His 1871 survey map helped establish the Durham County borders when it split from Wake County 10 years later. In 1895, after Bevers’ death, the house and farm were sold to J. Elmer Ross.
The Fendol Bevers Farm may be one of the best preserved
Construction of suburban villas came to an abrupt halt, however, when New Hope Realty went out of business after the stock market crash of 1929, and the land was auctioned off. Individual buyers still wanted and could afford luxury homes, and hired architects, such as H. Raymond Weeks, Northup and O’Brient, and George Watts Carr, to design houses in popular revival styles. Colonial, Tudor, and English Cottage style homes characterize historic Forest Hills today, lining gracefully winding streets shaded by huge hardwood trees.
After World War II, the neighborhood saw more change, as University Drive evolved from a country road to a busy arterial street. The private club became a city park. The area was still desirable, however, and residential development
Annual Home Tour took place on April 28, 2012.
Read more about Forest Hills on our Historic Neighborhoods pages!
Until the early 1920s, most of the land that comprised Forest Hills belonged to a few farmers who left much of the gently rolling hills as forests and meadows. Farm subdivision was being aggressively promoted nationwide by Federal government policies and the utiltiy and banking indurstries. Ads in the Durham Morning Herald offer land for sale, mortgages to homebuyers, and automobiles and furniture. Suburban living was the new ideal for families with leisure time and money to spend.
In 1925, James O. Cobb and Fuller Glass followed the trend and purchased large tracts of farmland along University Drive. They boasted a clubhouse, pool, and
Despite the rainy weather on May 1, 2004 hundreds of Preservation Durham members and friends came out for our 8th Annual Old Durham Homes Tour of the architectural treasures of Historic Forest Hills. Read more about Forest Hills on our Historic Neighborhoods pages! Durham was booming in the 1920s when developers James O. Cobb and Fuller Glass purchased tracts of farm land along University Drive and hired Durham architect George Watts Carr, Sr. to lay out a new suburban neighborhood around a golf course (now Forest Hills Park). Forest Hills quickly became one of the most desirable places to live within Durham’s city limits, attracting newcomers to Durham as well as the younger generations of established Durham families. Buyers began to construct