Historic Morehead Hill was home to many of Durham’s early industrialists. In the 1880s, Eugene Morehead, L. A. Carr, George W. Watts, and George Lyon all had fine homes here. After the turn of the 20th century, William Gaston Vickers sold off much of his farmland for development, building many small rental homes along Yancey, Parker, Proctor, Wells, Shepherd, and Arnette Streets. Large building lots were reserved on the highest part of the land and in 1910 John Sprunt Hill began a new building boom with his opulent Spanish Colonial Revival style house on South Duke Street. Other period revival homes were soon built around it, including James Edward Stagg’s Chateau style house, Greystone. Today, these two houses are listed on the National Register of Historic Places and still stand out among the more popular Colonial Revival, Queen Anne, and bungalow style houses that fill the surrounding streets.
Many of Morehead Hill’s early mansions were demolished during the later part of the 20th century to make way for large office buildings, and the Durham Freeway cuts across the neighborhood’s northeast corner. South Duke Street and South Vickers Street are busy one-way thoroughfares through the neighborhood. However, Morehead Hill residents are working hard to make sure that their neighborhood of comfortable family homes remains a great place to live.
Morehead Hill was named a National Historic District in 1985 (expanded in 2004) and is also a Local Historic District.
Morehead Hill Links