2013 Old Durham Home Tour – Downtown Durham
Saturday & Sunday, April 27 & 28, 2013
- Noon – 4pm both days
- Tickets available at Beyu Caffe (335 W. Main Street) beginning at 11am
- $35 days-of event
- For tour sites and details click here
Advance ticket sales are now closed. Please come to Beyu Cafe to purchase tickets on the day of the tour.
To see information about past Home Tours, check out our Home Tour Archive.
Annual Home Tour took place on April 28, 2012.
Read more about Forest Hills on our Historic Neighborhoods pages!
Until the early 1920s, most of the land that comprised Forest Hills belonged to a few farmers who left much of the gently rolling hills as forests and meadows. Farm subdivision was being aggressively promoted nationwide by Federal government policies and the utiltiy and banking indurstries. Ads in the Durham Morning Herald offer land for sale, mortgages to homebuyers, and automobiles and furniture. Suburban living was the new ideal for families with leisure time and money to spend.
In 1925, James O. Cobb and Fuller Glass followed the trend and purchased large tracts of farmland along University Drive. They boasted a clubhouse, pool, and
Over 500 people toured sites from Durham’s Tobacco Heritage during the fourth annual tour, held on Saturday, May 6, 2000. Use our virtual tour (or join us on a traditional walking tour) of Durham’s tobacco heritage! The 2000 Historic Tour included industrial spaces rather than the usual homes. Sites on the tour included the Brodie Duke Warehouse, now occupied by Measurement, Inc.; the Golden Belt Manufacturing Plant, now a business incubator; the Duke Memorial Methodist Church; Duke Homestead State Historic Site; and the American Tobacco Trail, a recreational trail along an old railroad right-of-way. Of particular interest to tour-goers was the American Tobacco Campus, soon to be redeveloped into downtown living, working, and recreational space by Capital Broadcasting.
Nearly 1000 people joined Preservation Durham on Saturday, May 5, Living It Up Downtown on the 5th annual Old Durham Tour. Eclectic residences created in buildings that were once department stores, offices, and warehouses demonstrated how a good building can be useful even after it has outlived its original purpose. Nearly a dozen exciting and innovative adaptive reuses of historic Durham buildings demonstrated new ways to Live It Up Downtown! Read more about downtown on our Historic Neighborhoods pages! Tour sites included West Village, apartments in former tobacco warehouses at the corner of Duke and Main Streets; a residence in the Clements Building, once a cornerstone of the Black Wall Street on Parrish Street; and a residence at 329 W. Main Street
Hope Valley was Durham’s first full-fledged country club suburb, developed around an 18-hole golf course in the late 1920s Traces of the farms that occupied the land in the 19th Century remain around the suburban landscape developed by the Mebane Company to attract the newly successful young professionals that were thriving with Durham’s tobacco, textile, and health care industries. The golf course was designed to allow the most houses facing it, and the Norman Provincial style clubhouse was designed by Milburn and Heister. The early homes in Hope Valley are an eclectic mix of revival styles popular in the 1920s and 1930s: Tudor, English Cottage, Colonial, Norman Provincial, and even Spanish. Read more about Hope Valley on our Historic Neighborhoods pages! Homes
Long before Dr. Bartlett Durham sold land to the railroad for a station, many families had settled in the northern part of what was then Orange County. The Umsteads, the Tilleys, the Mangums, the Parrishes, the Balls, the Harrises, the Crabtrees, the Dukes, the Bennehans, and the Camerons all farmed the rolling hills north of the Eno River. The settlement at the heart of this community had several different names, but in 1891, a new name was created to acknowledge three prominent families, the Balls, the Harrises, and the Mangums, and so Bahama (buh-HAY-muh) was named. Today, the homes that these families built in the 19th and early 20th centuries cluster around the Mount Bethel United Methodist Church at the
The 12th Annual Old Durham Home Tour was another success for Preservation Durham as hundreds of PD members and friends came out to enjoy a lovely day in the Watts Hospital Hillandale neighborhood. Read more about Watts Hospital-Hillandale on our Historic Neighborhoods pages! Advance ticket buyers were able to exchange their tickets for a tour guidebook and map at the tour headquarters at the corner of Broad Street and Club Boulevard. Tourgoers enjoyed the tour at their own pace, exploring the neighborhood that grew up in the early 20th century around Watts Hospital, now the North Carolina School of Science and Math. There was plenty of parking on the campus of the NCSSM so tourgoers could leave their cars to wander on
Despite the rainy weather on May 1, 2004 hundreds of Preservation Durham members and friends came out for our 8th Annual Old Durham Homes Tour of the architectural treasures of Historic Forest Hills. Read more about Forest Hills on our Historic Neighborhoods pages! Durham was booming in the 1920s when developers James O. Cobb and Fuller Glass purchased tracts of farm land along University Drive and hired Durham architect George Watts Carr, Sr. to lay out a new suburban neighborhood around a golf course (now Forest Hills Park). Forest Hills quickly became one of the most desirable places to live within Durham’s city limits, attracting newcomers to Durham as well as the younger generations of established Durham families. Buyers began to construct