Preservation Durham is the proud steward of OpenDurham.org, an incredibly rich, entirely volunteer-run community archive committed to documenting this cit’s people and places – its past and present – to preserve and pass along for the future. To keep that commitment, we need the voices of Durham old-timers and newcomers, writers and researchers, programmers and designers, intervieweres and photographers, neighbors and explorers. In short, we need you!
Working with Open Durham can be a great way to stay invovled in spite of restrictions on public gatherings brought on by the pandemic.
Click the link below to register for upcoming Open Durham virtual volunteer events.
Whatever your point of entry, skill set, length of residence
See the completed renovation! Friday, Feb 20, 2015, 4:00-6:00 pm
118 S Driver Street is a classic tri-gable house in East Durham. In 2013, Preservation Durham invested the proceeds of a grant from the 1772 Foundation in the rehabilitation of this property with Renovision Properties. In 2014 the house was completely renovated and marked the beginning of a reinvigorated Endangered Properties Program.
- Protective covenants put in place through EPF sale in June of 2004.
- Craftsman bungalow built by the Blackman family between 1910 and 1920.
- Originally located on Erwin Road (where the Duke Eye Hospital now stands), this house was moved three times:
- Moved to LaSalle Street – then Holman Road – in the mid-1960s when Duke began to expand its campus
- Temporarily moved to Hillsborough Road in 2002, where it sat awaiting a zoning change
- Post-rezoning approval, house was finally relocated to Lawndale Avenue.
- Despite many moves, the bungalow has always remained part of West Durham.
- Building sold through City RFP in late 2011.
- Preservation ensured by PD through EPF covenants and by NC Historic Preservation Office via the income-producing historic tax credits; click here to learn more about rehab credits.
- Example of PD partnering with commercial developers.
- Continues ongoing revitalization of the Downtown Durham National Register Historic District.
- Served as an impetus for initiating a reassessment and expansion of the Downtown district, which was established in the 1970s and overdue for reevaluation.
A charming, already renovated home in revitalizing East Durham.
213 S. Driver Street, Durham NC 27703
1,300 square feet approx.
3 bedrooms / 2 baths
This 1910s tri-gable has been renovated by Project RED, a partnership of Preservation North Carolina and Preservation Durham. It is being offered for sale as a single-family residence. Find more information here.
- Protective covenants put in place through EPF sale in April of 2010.
- Contributing property in the Trinity Park National Register Historic District.
- High-style Colonial Revival built in the early 1920s for Duke mathematics professor W.W. Rankin.
- Rehabilitation included:
- Complete rebuild of both the built-in copper gutters and the roof structure.
- Damaged slates on the front of the roof replaced with good slate from the rear porch.
- Rear porch recovered with a recycled-rubber replica slate material.
- Plaster and wood moldings, doors, flooring and more were retained and restored.
- Bathrooms and kitchen fully updated, but many features were retained and restored, including the floor tile, tubs, and built-in cabinets.
- Protective covenants put in place through EPF sale in October of 2008.
- Contributing property in the Duke Park/Old North Durham National Register Historic District.
- Owners converted property from a duplex to a single-family dwelling.
- Many significant architectural elements retained during renovation including:
- Interior and exterior paneled wood doors
- Original door key plates
- Six-over-six double hung windows
- Interior and exterior moldings
- Original firebox and mantle
- Built in 1926.
- Former municipal garage for Durham Fire Department and City.
- EPF covenants put in place early 1999.
- Rehabbed by Zapolski + Rudd later in 1999.
- Iconic Durham Fire Drill Tower still remains.
- Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
- Named one of top redevelopment projects in Triangle Business Journal’s 2000 Real Estate Quarterly.